Thursday 26 March 2015

Watercolored humming birds



Hello Everyone,



Yesterday I found some time to CAS(e) the 2nd card I had in mind for the Create a Smile challenge. I picked this card by Marina. I loved the rainbow monsters, I think they are so cute and bright.






However, I also wanted to try mirror images, so I picked the humming bird and stamped it with antique linen four times along the border of my water color panel, twice the right way and twice mirrored. In order to get the mirror impressions, I inked up the stamp and stamped it to the Paper Smooches Dude Block, to transfer the ink to it. Then I stamped the dude block where I wanted it on the panel. The mirrored image is much fainter than the original, so you'll have to trace it with a pen to get a clear outline.





I skipped that step, because the faint outline was just what I wanted to do no-line coloring. I had to do a bit of guesswork to color the mirrored birds, but it was quite doable.



As I could only fit four birds, I had to move away from rainbow colors. Instead I chose blues and greens and colored the birds with those. No-line coloring is really hard for me, that’s why I wanted to practice, with this simple image. But I feel I failed again, I am not all that happy with my coloring. 

I used the piece anyway, cut off the right edge along the birds and trimmed the panel to the size I wanted. Then I adhered it with foam tape to a black card base and added the sentiment banner, also with foam tape. To finish it off I scattered a few green and blue sequins and picked a bright green envelop.



When all was done, I was surprised about how much I liked the finished card, even though I was not really happy with the coloring.



I hope you all do have a good day

Ela





Challenges:

Create a Smile:  CAS(e) the DT 
The daily marker: 30 days coloring 
Simon says stamp: Anything goes

8 comments:

  1. Very clever. beautiful card, I have don't butterflies and really loved the look, never thought to do humming birds, this is really clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! I think you did a great job watercoloring, I know how hard it is.... :-) Love the colors you chose too.Thanks for the sweet comments you left over at my blog! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW really pretty card and such a neat idea to use the stamp as an irregular border! thanks for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is such a beautiful card, love it. Glad you joined us over at create a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your clever card designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm so happy that you chose to CASE my card :) I loooove how yours turned out. Thanks for joining the challenge at Create A Smile!

    ReplyDelete