Saturday 7 March 2015

Birthday shaker card

Hi Crafters,

I hope you're all doing well!

My girls had the best surprise ever for me today: 
On Saturdays they have a standing date with their grandparents for breakfast, which means that in theory I can sleep in on Saturdays, because my in-laws live just upstairs - in theory.

In real life, my girls used to wake me up my crashing down my bedroom door at half past 6, jumping on my bet and yelling at the top of their lungs "MOM, YOU CAN SLEEP IN TODAY, WE'RE LEAVING FOR GRANNY'S!"
Yeah, let's talk about sleep...

Now that they are older, they are not doing that anymore, but they still wake me early every Saturday, usually by fighting over clothes, or shoes, or whatever. And I really hate that, there's nothing worse than wake up early to loud bickering.

Today however, when I woke up, they had left already and I never heard a word... That was soo nice for a change! I admit, I am not a morning person. That one day a week meant so much to me, when we first arranged it with my in-laws... 

Anyhow, I have another card to show you, and this one is way before the deadline. The birthday it's meant for is in mid-June. 

When I created Elsa, I had an embossed snowflake background in mind, right from the start. But I also created two water color panels in icy blues, just to see what I liked better. In the end I went with the embossing, so I used one of the leftover panels for this card.


My Inktense pencils are my go to medium for the water coloring. I have a set of 36, which gives me a nice choice of colors. I used them for this panel taking the color directly from the tip onto wet cardstock. 

For the tag I used wood grain cardstock, which I darkened just a little with distress ink. My water color paper is slightly off white, so the bright white cardstock just didn't match. Then I cut the letters into the tag with my brand-new Cole's ABC from Lawn Fawn. 

To tie in the dark purple on the panel I picked my darkest purple cardstock, created the envelope and cut a second tag for the heat embossed sentiment. I wanted the cut out letters to show the blue backgrounds, so I cut off part of the purple tag and glued it to the white one. 

You can't really see it on the picture, it's even hard to see in real life, but this is a shaker card. I glued a piece of vellum behind the letters, popped the tags up on foam and filled the shaker with sequins. 
I probably should have used clear acetate instead. I thought the muted look would be cool, but the area is just not large enough, so it doesn't really show. 

For a final touch I added a few sequins outside the shaker. Unfortunately I didn't have purple ones, so I took light aqua clear sequins and colored them with an alcohol marker.


I do hope you have a great week-end
Ela



Challenges:
CAS on Sunday: #53 girl power
Seize the Birthday: Anything goes Birthday





3 comments:

  1. Another fun card! Thanks again for joining us at CAS on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card. Love the name tag and your watercolor background. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool color Ela
    and I did not see a shaker card on there
    but anyway lovely color combo
    beautifully done...I start walk on your blog Ela
    hope you like to visiting me back at
    www.creativewithmonika.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete